Invented by expert Italian harpsichord maker Bartolomeo Cristofori (1655-1731), the modern piano is celebrated for its resonant sound and versatility of style. This list of great piano pieces encompasses music starting from the 1600s up to the present day. The pieces are listed with the earliest at the beginning and the most recent at the end but are in no particular order, instead arranged in a way to maintain interest when listening to them all in succession (scroll down to the bottom of the post for the full Spotify playlist).
[You can click on each song individually and a new Spotify link will open in your browser]
- Bach: Goldberg Variations, BWV 988: Variation 1 a 1 Clav.
- Mozart: Concerto for Two Pianos in E Klat, K.365: Rondo (allegro)
- Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 29 in B flat major Op. 106 Hammerklavier: I. Allegro
- Beethoven: Piano Sonata No.14 in C sharp minor, Op.27 No.2 -“Moonlight” – 3. Presto
- Liszt: La campanella in G-Sharp Minor from Grandes études de Paganini, S 141/3
- Schubert: Impromptus, D. 899 (Op. 90): Impromptu No. 3 in G-Flat Major: Andante
- Chopin: Nocturne for Piano, No. 8 in D flat Major, Op. 27,2
- Chopin: Scherzo No. 2 in B-Flat Minor, Op. 31
- Stravinsky: Les 5 doigts pour piano solo
- Chopin: Waltz No.14 in E minor, Op.posth.
- Pärt: Für Alina, for Piano Solo
- Albeniz: Asturias
- Kaempfert: Strangers in the Night – Live Recording
- Prokofiev: Piano Sonata No. 7 In B Flat Major, Op. 83: III. Precipitato
- Saint-Saens: Piano Concerto No. 2 in G Minor, Op. 22: III. Presto
- Einaudi: Berlin Song
- Ravel: Piano Concerto in G – 2. Adagio assai
- Yiruma: Fotografia
- Adams: Phrygian Gates
- Poulenc: 2 Novelettes: Novelette No. 2 In B Flat Minor: Tres Rapide Et Rythme